Donor Relations Officer IICompany: Red Cross
Date Posted: October 24, 2017
1. Strategy: Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying donors to ensure retention, growth of annual donor contributions. Works collaboratively with other departments, regions and partners with development staff at the National Office to create solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
2. Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Manages a portfolio of donors with intent of retention and strengthening donor relationships. Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goal tied to blended portfolio as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue. Develop aggregate donor management plans resulting in primarily phone interaction along with email and hand written donor solicitations. Support organization in Disaster Fundraising for regional disasters as well as level 4 and above organizationally through phone solicitations. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters.
3. Prospect Development: Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $1,000-$2,500 level, with an emphasis on retention and maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross. May work with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Updates donor records in region database and Salesforce following every donor contact.
4. Relationship Development: Develops ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefits of the American Red Cross. Accountable for cultivating relationships of individual fundraising and organizational fundraising with emphasis on regional impact, disaster fundraising and the further development of the Clara Barton Society.
5. Other: Participates in disaster relief fundraising projects as appropriate. May oversee and have responsibility for staff development.
6. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintain a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
7. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the mission of the American Red Cross.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree desirable.
Experience: Minimum three years sales and/or fundraising experience required. Experience in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding appropriate donors and proven success with straightforward requests is required
Management Experience: None required.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent organizational, verbal and written skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce.com). A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
Travel: Requires frequent travel within the Region. The amount will vary depending upon size and geography of region
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to
emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout
chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response
organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.